Work With Us
Thank you for your interest in working with us! The Farmers Market Coalition is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to strengthening farmers markets across the United States so that they can serve as community assets while providing real income opportunities for farmers. The mission of FMC is “to strengthen farmers markets for the benefit of farmers, consumers, and communities.”
FMC consists of a small but mighty team passionate about supporting markets around the country and the farmers that sell at them. Because FMC is a remote organization, team members are based throughout the country, collaborating through video chat software and phone meetings often. Interns may be located anywhere that they have sufficient access to internet and phone service, and must be self-motivated and comfortable working independently.
Open positions are listed below:
The 2019 Communications Intern will assist with the creation and distribution of communications assets that demonstrate the impact of FMC programming, as well as the value of farmers markets around the country. In addition, the Communications Intern will support member relations and communications around FMC programming. FMC Interns gain valuable experience researching the economic, social, and environmental impacts of farmers markets, writing public-facing content, and working in the highly rewarding non-profit sector. This position will be trained and supervised by the Communications Coordinator. Internship to begin mid June.
- Assist in planning, drafting, and formatting weekly e-newsletter
- Assist in creating copy, identifying stories, and conceptualizing campaigns on various social media platforms, especially Facebook and Instagram.
- Review, proofread, and publish blog posts and press releases
- Plan and schedule social media posts around specific established campaigns, specifically National Farmers Market Week in August.
- Track engagement of National Farmers Market Week activities
- Engage partners, stakeholders, and influencers to increase social media engagement and reach during National Farmers Market Week.
- Draft blog posts and press releases around FMC initiatives and campaigns
- Update FMC website with press releases, news articles, farmers market trainings and events.
- Monitor news on topics relevant to farmers markets
- Strong grasp of communication tools and strategies
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and strong verbal communication skills
- Comfortable with social media especially Facebook and Instagram
- Familiar with, or interested in farmers markets, local food systems, and/or sustainable agriculture
- Completed or working toward an undergraduate degree or demonstrable success in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or a relevant field
- Excellent computer literacy (e.g. experience with any of GSuite, Dropbox, WordPress, Mailchimp preferred but not required). Some experience in graphic design a plus.
- Ability to represent FMC professionally to external partners
- Ability to work without direct supervision, self-motivated, detail-oriented, ability to meet deadlines, adaptable, enthusiastic to learn and grow
Intern will work up to 30 hours per week through September 2019. Should the internship prove fruitful there may be an opportunity to extend through December 2019 with fewer hours.
- Reviewing and responding to members inquiries via phone and email
- Assisting members in accessing necessary resources
- Logging emails and phone calls in Neon
- Suggesting additions/changes to FMC FAQs and member resources
Send resume or qualifications and a brief statement of interest with subject line “FMC Volunteer” to email@example.com.