National Farmers Market Week
August 6-12, 2017
How will your market celebrate National Farmers Market Week? Special guests? Special events? Whatever you have planned, be sure get the word out! Make sure your whole community — customers, local government, federal representatives, schools, producers, neighboring businesses, chefs, everyone! — knows of all the great work the market is doing.
Check out our NFMW Resource Webinar to learn all about our resources and how to use them!
Resources and templates to help promote your event:
- / Farmers Market Talking Points and Facts
- / Social Media Cheat Sheet
- / 2017 Infographics (for social media, blogs, and newsletters)
- / Press Release Template
- / Newsletter Template (coming soon)
- / Update Your Market’s Info in the USDA Farmers Market Directory
- / NFMW Branding Graphics from USDA (to make posters, emails, buttons and more)
- / NFMW Branding Help and FAQs page from USDA
Pick up some market gear to wear, pass out at events, or give away as prizes:
- / Temporary Tattoos and Stickers
- / I ‘Heart’ Farmers Market T-Shirts
- / I ‘Strawberry’ Farmers Market T-Shirts
Invite Your Elected Officials
The U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives are o National Farmers Market Week, so chances are good that they’ll be available for a visit to your market. A simple invitation can put a visit to your community market on their calendar!
Use these templates and resources to craft and send your invitation to elected officials:
- / Invitation Template for Public Officials and Legislators
- / U.S. Congressional Contact Info Lookup
- / State Legislator Contact Lookup
- / Advocacy Toolkit – Use this guide to learn how to build relationships with your public officials
Tips for Using Our Resources
- How are you celebrating? An event, contest or special guest? Use any of our resources to help spread the word.
- Use the Invitation Template to invite your legislators and public officials to your market.
- Never talked to your legislators before? Use our Advocacy Toolkit to help you through the process.
- Customize our Press Release Template and send it to your local media outlets (print and broadcast media, popular newsletters, etc.)
- Use our Social Media Cheat Sheet to help promote NFMW and events at your market.
- Customize our Newsletter Template and share the impacts of your market with your subscribers and networks.
- Use our Farmers Markets Info Graphics in social media posts and newsletters.
- Use our Talking Points to help speak confidently on behalf of the amazing work your market is doing in your community.
- Add or update your market’s info in the USDA Farmers Market Directory.
- Use Branding Graphics from USDA to make posters, signs, emails, buttons and more.
- Promote your market by encouraging customers and vendors to participate in our Instagram Contest.
- Give away our t-shirts, tattoos and stickers as souvenirs and prizes.
Farmers Market Poster Contest
We’re looking for posters that depict a combination of engaging graphics, informative messaging and regional or market identity. Four prizes will be offered in the following categories: 1st and 2nd place for best overall poster; best EBT/Nutrition Incentive poster; and the Fan Favorite – the poster with the most VOTES on Facebook. $1500 in cash prizes will be awarded to the markets of the winning posters!
A panel of judges will determine the 1st, 2nd, and EBT/Nutrition Incentive poster winners, while our Facebook followers can vote online to crown the Fan Favorite winner. Winning posters will also be featured at National Farmers Market Week events in Washington D.C.! And don’t forget to use the hashtag #MyMarketPoster to share your designs on social media.
Announcing FMC’s #LoveMyMarket Instagram Contest! We’re challenging market lovers to post creative photos incorporating FMC’s “I Heart Farmers Markets” temporary tattoos. The contest is designed to engage your community, and provides markets with an inexpensive, fun, and easy way to allow customers and vendors to promote your venue for you through word of mouth, social, and earned media.
It’s easy to enter:
- Take a photo of yourself, a farmer, shopper, puppy, baby, tomato – anyone or anything! – wearing a tattoo
- Post the photo to Instagram with the hashtag #LoveMyMarket
Contest opens August 1, 2017. Entry deadline is August 31, 2017. Where can you find tattoos? Order them here!
Fun prizes (and bragging rights) will be awarded to the photographers AND markets featured in the winning photos. Winners will be announced September 2017.
Check out the 2016 winners and some of our favorites for inspiration!
Farmers Market Talking Points
To help farmers market supporters across the country celebrate National Farmers Market Week, the first full week of every August, we are highlighting the different ways that farmers markets are benefitting our communities! Share these facts with your whole community about how there is more to markets than meets the eye.
- / Preserve America’s rural livelihoods and farmland. Farmers markets provide one of the only low-barrier entry points for beginning farmers, allowing them to start small, test the market, and grow their businesses.
- / Stimulate local economies. Growers selling locally create 13 full time farm operator jobs per $1 million in revenue earned. Those that do not sell locally create 3.
- / Increase access to fresh, nutritious food. Several studies have found lower prices for conventional and organic produce at farmers markets than at supermarkets. Due to this and other factors, 52% more SNAP households shop at farmers markets and from direct marketing farmers today than in 2011.
- / Support healthy communities. Farmers market vendors educate their shoppers. Four out of five farmers selling at markets discuss farming practices with their customers, and three in five discuss nutrition and how to prepare food.
- / Promote sustainability. Three out of every four farmers selling at farmers markets say they use practices consistent with organic standards.