National Farmers Market Week: Meet Me at Market!
To help farmers market supporters across the country celebrate National Farmers Market Week, the first full week of every August, we are highlighting the different ways that farmers markets are benefitting our communities! Share these facts with your whole community about how there is more to markets than meets the eye.
- Preserve America’s rural livelihoods and farmland. Farmers markets provide one of the only low-barrier entry points for beginning farmers, allowing them to start small, test the market, and grow their businesses.
- Stimulate local economies. Growers selling locally create 13 full time farm operator jobs per $1 million in revenue earned. Those that do not sell locally create 3.
- Increase access to fresh, nutritious food. Several studies have found lower prices for conventional and organic produce at farmers markets than at supermarkets. Due to this and other factors, 52% more SNAP households shop at farmers markets and from direct marketing farmers today than in 2011.
- Support healthy communities. Farmers market vendors educate their shoppers. Four out of five farmers selling at markets discuss farming practices with their customers, and three in five discuss nutrition and how to prepare food.
- Promote sustainability. Three out of every four farmers selling at farmers markets say they use practices consistent with organic standards.
- Download (and share!) our full list of farmers market talking points and facts here…
Celebrating National Farmers Market Week? Get the Word Out!
How is your community’s farmers market celebrating this year? Special guests? Special events? Whatever you do, use our templates to help spread the word. Make sure your whole community — customers, local government, federal representatives, schools, producers, neighboring businesses, chefs, everyone! — knows of all the great work the market is doing. Use these templates and resources to help:
- Farmers Market Talking Points and Facts
- Social Media Cheat Sheet
- Press Release Template
- Newsletter Announcement Template
- Update Your Market’s Info in the USDA Farmers Market Directory
- Why Farmers Markets? Infographic
Invite Public Officials and Legislators!
Federal House representatives will be in their home districts during National Farmers Market Week. A simple invitation can put a visit to your community market on their calendar! Use these templates and resources to craft and send your invitation to public officials and legislators:
- Invitation Template for Public Officials and Legislators
- Congressional Contact Info Lookup (use your zip code)
- FMC Guide to Bonding with Your Federal Legislators
- FMC Guide to Bonding with Your State Legislators
- Official 2015 National Farmers Market Week Proclamation From USDA
Announcing FMC’s #MarketLove Instagram Contest! We’re challenging market lovers to post creative photos incorporating FMC’s “I Heart Farmers Markets” temporary tattoos. What better or easier way to drum up attention and spread the word about the great food and fun at your market?
Entrants are encouraged to get inky and show off their market pride by posting photos of themselves, farmers, shoppers, puppies, babies – anyone! – with a tattoo and hashtag #MarketLove on Instagram throughout July and August. Fun prizes will be awarded to the markets featured in the winning photos!