FMC and Jarden Announce 2012 Discover You Can Farmers Markets
Posted On: May 8, 2012
For Immediate Release
According to The National Restaurant Association’s annual “What’s Hot” survey, the top trend from top chefs is eating local. Whether it’s eating locally grown produce or locally sourced meats, the benefits of buying from your community farmers are plentiful. Keep a lid on your living expenses – you don’t have to be a top chef to get the best quality food!
The Farmers Market Coalition (FMC) and Jarden Home Brands, makers of Ball® Brand Fresh Preserving Products, are helping communities across the nation turn fresh, locally grown favorites into delicious food in a jar.
Discover You CanSM, a summer canning education program, has given 30 FMC farmers market members educational materials and funding to hold canning events in their communities. The program teaches at-home canning in 3 simple steps and supports awareness of the benefits of canning for healthy, sustainable living:
- Local Food is About the Future: Supporting local farmers can help ensure that there will be farms in your community tomorrow, and nourishing food for generations to come.
- Purchasing and Preserving your Local Farmers Market Produce: Continuing to purchase can help keep the farmers producing fresh, nutritious, and high-quality foods.
- Provide Jobs to the Local Community: Farmers markets not only bring life to the community, they open up job and entrepreneurship opportunities for local residents.
“Like FMC, Jarden understands farmers markets’ unique role as experiential academies, where families learn about farming, food, cooking, and all kinds of life skills,” says Stacy Miller of the Farmers Market Coalition. “Discover You Can lets market participants bring canning to life through their own creative events, truly helping our farmers markets fulfill their educational missions.”
A list of participating farmers market locations can be found below and here. The program runs now through Labor Day.
About Farmers Market Coalition
The Farmers Market Coalition (FMC) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to strengthening farmers markets for the benefit of farmers, consumers, and communities. FMC represents farmers markets managers, farmers, state farmers market associations and other organizations and individuals dedicated to helping farmers markets thrive in the long-term. Through education, networking and advocacy, FMC helps farmers markets nationwide maximize their capacity to support agricultural entrepreneurship, provide healthy alternatives for consumers, and strengthen communities. Learn more at www.farmersmarketcoalition.org.
• 5 Healthy Towns Wellness Coalition Chelsea, Stockbridge and Dexter Michigan
• Abingdon Farmers Market, Abingdon Virginia
• Buy Fresh Buy Local – Greater Lehigh Valley, Easton Pennsylvania
• Carrboro Farmers Market, Carrboro North Carolina
• CitySeed, Inc. New Haven Connecticut
• Community Farmers Market Bowling Green, Bowling Green Kentucky
• Countryside Farmers Market, Peninsula Ohio
• Coventry Regional Farmers Market, Coventry Connecticut
• Crescent City Farmers Market, New Orleans Louisiana
• Downtown Elgin Harvest Market, Elgin Illinois
• Downtown Farmers Market, Salt Lake City Utah
• Eastern Market Corporation, Detroit Michigan
• Farmers Market Association of Toledo, Toledo Ohio
• Forsyth Farmers Market, Savannah Georgia
• Glens Falls Farmers Market Association, Glens Falls New York
• Golden Farmers Market, Golden Colorado
• Greenmarket, Program of GrowNYC, New York NY
• Hillsdale Farmers Market, Portland Oregon
• Hub City Farmers Market, Spartanburg South Carolina
• Lancaster Market Inc, Lancaster New York
• Local Food Campaign, Albert Lea, Austin and Mason City Minnesota and Iowa
• Market Central, Charlottesville Virginia
• Memphis Farmers Market, Memphis Tennessee
• Nashville Farmers Market, Nashville Tennessee
• Omaha Farmers Market, Omaha Nebraska
• Pearl Farmers Market, San Antonio Texas
• Rochester Downtown Farmers, Market Rochester Minnesota
• Statesboro Mainstreet Farmers Market, Statesboro Georgia
• The Webb City Farmers Market, Webb City Missouri
• Virginia Beach Farmers Market, Virginia Beach Virginia
Discover You Can Farmers Markets SM©