8th International Public Markets Conference to convene market leaders in Cleveland, Ohio
Posted On: July 19, 2012
On September 21st through 23rd, the Project for Public Spaces’ will host the 8th Annual Public Markets Conference in Cleveland, Ohio.
The Farmers Market Coalition is delighted to be an organizational partner for the conference, which aims to set a new direction for the vital role public markets and farmers markets play in transforming local economies and communities. In concert with the 100th Anniversary of Cleveland’s West Side Market, the conference will highlight the burgeoning local food scene in the region. Held only once every three years, this conference includes plenary sessions, workshops, tours, and abundant opportunities for networking and learning.
Workshop topics will include:
• Developing into hubs for regional food economies
• Sparking the revitalization of cities and neighborhoods
• Growing businesses and expand facilities to meet new consumer demands
• Expanding food access for low income communities
• Promoting healthy eating and lifestyle choices
• Developing strategies for funding and financing in today’s challenging economic times
Among the many scheduled speakers are the following farmers market, public market, and local food policy leaders (FMC members marked with an *)
• Donita Anderson, Executive Director, North Union Shaker Square Farmers Market
• Jim Barham, Agricultural Marketing Service, USDA
• Joe Cimperman, Councilman Ward Three, City of Cleveland
• Steve Davies, Senior Vice President, Project for Public Spaces
• John Fisk, Director, Wallace Center at Winrock International
• Holly Freishtat, Baltimore City Food Policy Director
• Melissa Harrington, Fulton Street Market, Grand Rapids, MI*
• Oran Hesterman, President and CEO, Fair Food Network (invited)*
• Richard McCarthy, Executive Director, marketumbrella.org*
• Dru Montri, Michigan Farmers Market Association Project Manager, E. Lansing, MI*
• Michel Nischan, CEO, Wholesome Wave*
• David O’Neil, Market Consultant and Senior Director – Markets, Project for Public Spaces
• Ana Parra, Executive Director, Hub City Farmers Market, Spartanburg, SC*
• Bernadine Prince, President, Farmers Market Coalition*
• Kelly Verel, Senior Associate, Project for Public Spaces
• Don Weist, Board President, Boston Public Market Association, Boston, MA
• Darlene Wolnik, Independent Researcher and Trainer, Helping Markets Grow*
To see the full list of speakers, visit the conference web site.
Special early bird registration rates are available only until July 31.