Farmers Markets: There’s More to Market!
Share these facts with your whole community about how there is more to markets than meets the eye.
- Preserve America’s rural livelihoods and farmland. Farmers markets provide one of the only low-barrier entry points for beginning farmers, allowing them to start small, test the market, and grow their businesses.
- Stimulate local economies. Growers selling locally create 13 full time farm operator jobs per $1 million in revenue earned. Those that do not sell locally create 3.
- Increase access to fresh, nutritious food. Several studies have found lower prices for conventional and organic produce at farmers markets than at supermarkets. Due to this and other factors, 52% more SNAP households shop at farmers markets and from direct marketing farmers today than in 2011.
- Support healthy communities. Farmers market vendors educate their shoppers. Four out of five farmers selling at markets discuss farming practices with their customers, and three in five discuss nutrition and how to prepare food.
- Promote sustainability. Three out of every four farmers selling at farmers markets say they use practices consistent with organic standards.
- Download (and share!) our full list of farmers market talking points and facts here…
Announcing FMC’s #MoretoMarket Instagram Contest! We’re challenging market lovers to post creative photos incorporating FMC’s “I Heart Farmers Markets” temporary tattoos. What better or easier way to drum up attention and spread the word about the great food and fun at your market?
Entrants are encouraged to get inky and show off their market pride by posting photos of themselves, farmers, shoppers, puppies, babies – anyone! – with a tattoo and hashtag #MoretoMarket on Instagram throughout July and August. Fun prizes will be awarded to the markets featured in the winning photos!
Want to participate? Donate $25 to FMC today, and receive 200 ‘I Heart Farmers Markets’ temporary tattoos to share at your market! Click the image below to donate!