FMC Seeks PT Communications & Web Media Intern
Posted On: May 26, 2010
Job Title: Communications & Web Media Intern (Unpaid)
Reports to: Executive Director
Description: The Farmers Market Coalition (FMC) is seeking a smart, detail-oriented, and creative college student interested in web and media communications for a non-profit with a focus on providing resources and information for farmers market nationwide. With a small staff, FMC operates a ‘virtual office,’ with value on independence and initiative. The Communications & Web Media Intern will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience in a young, growing nonprofit while working on a variety of communication projects involving web site/blog maintenance (using WordPress), social media, and writing articles and organizational communications. Necessary training on the use of WordPress, Joomla, Constant Contact, and other tools will be provided.
Location: Flexible. Work will be conducted “virtually” from the intern’s place of residence, with flexible hours. Personal computer with reliable internet access required. Communication with supervisor will be conducted electronically via e-mail, phone, and on-line document sharing.
Time commitment: Part-time (approximately 15-20 hours per week) for either a 12 month or 6 month term beginning July 1, 2010. The start and end dates and hourly commitment of the internship are flexible and can be adjusted based on intern’s needs.
Requirements: Personal computer with reliable internet access and phone for periodic phone meetings with supervisor.
Compensation: The internship is unpaid, but FMC can arrange for the intern to earn academic credit through your college or university if the school offers such opportunities.
The Communications & Web Media Intern will:
• Update the FMC website calendar and program pages as often as needed
• Perform regular updates and maintenance to FMC Resource Library database (Joomla)
• Prepare Farmers Market Week communications to members, supporters, and social media followers
• Actively engage in regular maintenance and oversight of FMC’s social media (twitter, facebook cause)
• Assist with editing and dissemination of the quarterly market beet e-newsletter
• Make periodic announcements and article postings to FMC web site as needed
•Create monthly reports of web site traffic, email response, media coverage of FMC or FMC programs
• Experience or willingness to learn WordPress, Joomla, and Constant Contact
• Excellent written communications skills, including ability to take initiative and perform follow-up
• Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
• Interest in farmers markets, nonprofit communications, and marketing
• Ability to work independently and juggle multiple projects at once
• Interest in learning nonprofit usage of social networks such as facebook and twitter
• At least one year of undergraduate school completed
• The ability to earn academic credit through an accredited college or university
The Farmers Market Coalition (FMC) is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to strengthening farmers markets nationally through education, networking, and advocacy. FMC is governed by a 17 member Board of Directors, and represents member markets, producers, state associations, and other farmers market organizations throughout the United States. You can learn more about Farmers Market Coalition at: www.FarmersMarketCoalition.org.
Please email your résumé, cover letter, availability (in hours per week) and any relevant links of work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is June 15, 2010.
The Farmers Market Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Internship positions do not entitle the intern to future employment by the organization.
To apply for either of these positions, please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com. If you are interested in volunteering for our organization, please visit our volunteer page, or send a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.