About the Farmers Market Coalition
The national Farmers Market Coalition is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to working with farmers market operators to strengthen farmers markets across the United States so that they can serve as community assets while providing real income opportunities for farmers.
The mission of the national Farmers Market Coalition is “to strengthen farmers markets for the benefit of farmers, consumers, and communities.” FMC’s primary role is supporting those individuals and entities that operate farmers markets. Toward that end, the priorities of FMC are:
- To serve as a national information center for farmers markets
- To be a voice for North American farmers market advocacy
- To foster strong state and regional farmers market associations
- To bring private and public support to the table to sustain farmers markets in the long term, for the benefit of farmers, consumers, and communities
- To support farmers market organizations in creating safe and welcoming spaces for all community members
- To promote farmers markets to the public
- To develop and provide educational programming and networking opportunities for farmers market operators
- To work towards creating an anti-racist workplace within our organization and build resources for farmers market organizations to do the same
The Farmers Market Coalition is driven by three complementary goals — we call it our triple bottom line. Farmers earn fair prices for the fruits of their labor by selling directly to consumers. Consumers gain access to fresh, nutritious, local produce. Communities regain a figurative “town square,” experiencing the many positive outcomes of foot traffic and community connection. We work with markets of all sizes to work towards this triple bottom line and engage with their unique communities.
Many agencies and groups support farmers markets – cooperative extension, food security advocates, departments of agriculture, and a host of nongovernmental organizations. Our staff are located all over the country, and FMC serves as a central hub from which to locate allies, identify and share best practices, and positively impact public policy pertaining to farmers markets.
- Meet the FMC Board of Directors and Staff
- FMC Strategic Plan
- See an overview of FMC’s work in the 2021 Annual Member Meeting Presentation
- Meet the FMC supporters and allies
- Learn about job and volunteer opportunities
- Learn about the FMC Gus Schumacher Awards
- Learn about FMC’s involvement in the World Farmers Markets Coalition