Work with us
Thank you for your interest in working with us! The Farmers Market Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer; we are committed to a diverse workplace. Open positions are listed below.
The Farmers Market Coalition (FMC) is seeking a creative, passionate and self-driven Communications Intern to assist with social media and membership outreach, content creation and distribution that engages members and followers with national efforts to grow healthy communities through vibrant farmers markets. Download the job description here.
Reporting to the Membership & Outreach Coordinator and Communications Associate, the Communications Intern will manage FMC’s social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and will also assist with all facets of outreach and fundraising, including newsletters, blog posts, reports, press releases and promotional materials.
The Communications Intern will be expected to:
- Monitor national media outlets and organizations for farmers market related content and catalogue and share content with networks when appropriate
- Make daily posts to Facebook and Twitter, sharing timely and relevant articles, blog posts and FMC program updates
- Manage FMC Guest Instagram Program
- Copyedit, proofread and revise communications
- Assist with coordination and delivery of weekly and monthly newsletter
- Assist staff with blog post content and arrangement of blog post copy
- Create marketing and promotional materials, both print and electronic
- Assist with fundraising initiatives including email, direct mail and sponsorship opportunities
- Attend farmers markets and related events around the DC area
Qualified candidates will be/have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication and strong editing skills
- A keen understanding of social media marketing trends
- A passion for engaging FMC members and followers and a desire to expand FMC’s network
- A creative eye for content arrangement and delivery
- Proficient in WordPress, Microsoft Word and Powerpoint
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign preferred, but not required.
The ideal candidate is an undergraduate (junior or senior) or graduate student with a background in communications, public relations, or marketing, and has a strong interest in local food and supporting farmers markets.
Approximately 10 hours per week beginning as soon as possible, and continuing until June 2017. If desired, the hours may be increased in the summer, and decreased during the school year.
This is a remote position. The intern will communicate with FMC staff via e-mail, phone, and shared Google Drive and Dropbox documents. An intern residing in the metro or surrounding areas of Washington D.C. or Philadelphia is strongly desired.
A personal telephone, computer, and internet access are required.
$500 monthly stipend
The intern will be trained via telephone and teleconference by the Membership & Outreach Coordinator and Communications Associate.
Closing Date: Please apply by Friday, June 3, 2016