Maine Farmers Can Apply to Accept WIC
Posted On: March 30, 2018
The Vendor applicant is required to submit a completed application to the State Agency. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants will be notified of missing, incomplete or unsigned documents. Those applications will be returned to the vendor applicant and may delay authorization.
- Once notified of an incomplete application, the vendor applicant must submit the missing information to the Maine WIC Nutrition Program within thirty- (30) days from the date of the letter. Applicants who fail to return the missing information within the 30-day deadline will be required to complete a new application and resubmit it to the State Agency.
- If all required information meets the selection criteria and the application is approved the State Agency will notify the vendor within thirty (30) days from the date the completed Vendor Application was received.
- The State Agency must conduct an on-site visit to the applicant’s store. This visit may occur at any time during the application process at the convenience of the State Agency. This is an on-site inspection to verify whether or not the store meets all the selection criteria.
- Once an application has been approved, store owners, managers and/or staff will be required to attend new vendor training which must be held in a face-to-face format. Vendor trainings are held at a particular region of the State each year and at the State Agency in Augusta.
- Once training has been completed the vendor applicant and the State Agency will sign a Vendor Agreement. The Vendor Agreement is usually valid for three-(3) years. The initial Agreement period may be for a shorter time frame in order to ensure program administrative efficiency.
- The Vendor will be assigned an authorization number, provided with a stamp and will then be allowed to process WIC transactions.
Any Maine farmer/owner may apply during open enrollment period January 10 – March 31st and participate in a WIC farmer training. There is no charge for application.