Manager Hire: Bernice Garden Farmers’ Market, Little Rock, AR
Posted On: February 9, 2018
The Bernice Garden Farmers’ Market is located in the historic South Main neighborhood just
outside of downtown Little Rock, AR. The market is housed in the Bernice Garden, which is
privately owned by Anita Davis. The Bernice Garden is a community space that allows visitors
to enjoy native plants and art sculptures.
The market takes place on Sundays from April through November from 10am-2pm. The market
offers customers a diverse mix of locally grown and made fruits, vegetables, herbs, nuts,
flowers, eggs, poultry, pork, beef, cheese, baked goods, jams, coffee, and more! BGFM is a
producer-only market that offers only the highest quality locally grown and made food and
Position Summary: The Bernice Garden Farmers’ Market Manager is responsible for daily operations of the Market from early April through late November. The Market Manager is the “go-to” person for vendors and consumers during market hours and is the SNAP/EBT representative on site. The job requires strong organization skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a variety of people from all walks of life. The manager’s general responsibilities include: fostering community support for the market, helping promote the market, and keeping accurate weekly records of market activities. Successful managers understand both the vendors’ and the consumers’ needs and, in conjunction with Bernice Garden, design and implement strategies to meet these needs. The manager is required to be on-site at market and available to vendors and consumers the majority of the time.
- Communicate and coordinate with a group of 35 rotating food and farm vendors for weekly Sunday market
- Arrives at market 1 – 1.5 hours before opening to coordinate market set-up and stays at the market until all vendors have left (no more than 1 hour after market closing except on rare occasions).
- Ensures safety and cleanliness of the site before, during and at the conclusion of each market
- Assist customers and market vendors during market day
- Operates market ATM / EBT machine
- Ensures timely collection of market rent and distribution of vendor payments
- Organizes special events (i.e. Strawberry Festival, Tomato Festival, etc.), local
musicians and food trucks
- Write weekly digital market newsletter
- Coordinate vendor application process at the beginning of each season
- Enforces market rules and regulations
- Conducts site visits with vendors (1 visit per vendor each season)
- Conduct marketing and outreach support
- Promote the market via social media and other media as opportunities arrive
- Tracks weekly market attendees
- Assist vendors by providing limited set up help and brief personal breaks during busy times
- Works with market board
- Assists vendors, community representatives, and consumers by providing market- related information, conflict resolution, and general aid as appropriate
- Identifies and either initiates or recommends follow-up communication with area businesses and community organizations, as well as local police or other municipal employees, who may provide assistance to the market.
- Managers must be willing and able to work outdoors and to safely lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Works with market volunteer
- Performs other duties necessary to support the market.
Qualifications and Background
Experience: The ideal candidate will have experience in local agriculture, food, community, and / or local economies. S/he must be reliable, friendly, self-motivated, and have access to a vehicle, or the ability to get all supplies to the market.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with a diverse group of individuals from a
wide range of backgrounds
- Must be able to work independently as well as interdependently with other market
- Highly self-motivated and organized
This is a part-time, seasonal, hourly position and requires managing market operations for 6-8 hours (depending on market hours) on market days, plus an additional 8 – 15 hours per week on non-market days to coordinate with vendors and conduct outreach and promotion for the market.
To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 17, 2017 with the subject line “2017 Market Manager Hiring.”