The Farmers Market Coalition is teaming up with Farm Aid to bring back the National Farmers Market Poster Contest! After a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic, we’re thrilled to bring back this annual contest celebrating the creativity and diversity of America’s farmers markets by showcasing market posters on a national level.
The winners of the 2022 National Farmers Market Poster Contest have been announced! All of this year’s entries can also be found on FMC’S Facebook page.
Read below for submission criteria and examples of past entries on Facebook and our winning markets:
Why celebrate farmers market posters?
In past national surveys of farmers who sell at farmers markets, farmers reported the best way markets can support their business is by better advertising and signage. The trusty poster has long served as one of the most essential ways farmers markets can promote their venue and establish brand identity. Market posters not only advertise a place where people can find fresh food for their families, they share the values of the market and support the livelihoods of local farmers across the country by drawing communities closer to the hardworking producers of their food. A true testament to the power of some simple signage!
Who else is celebrating farmers market posters?
Farm Aid has decided to once again partner with FMC to sponsor the 2022 contest. Farm Aid has raised more than $64 million to help farmers thrive, expand the reach of the Good Food Movement, take action to change the dominant system of industrial agriculture and promote food from family farms. Together, we’re thrilled to celebrate our nation’s local farmers and farmers markets. In addition to cash prizes, this year’s winning posters will be also displayed at the HOMEGROWN Village at Farm Aid 2022! Thank you, Farm Aid, for helping us showcase America’s farmers markets!
FMC will award a cash prize to five (5) winning farmers markets whose posters depict a combination of engaging graphics, informative messaging and regional or market identity across the following categories:
- 1st Place for best over all poster: $300
- 2nd Place for best overall poster: $200
- Best EBT/Nutrition Incentive poster: $200
- Fan Favorite – the poster with the most votes on Facebook: $200
- Best Metrics Poster – featuring data collected at the market: $200
All winning posters will also be on display at Farm Aid 2022, and winning markets will receive a free pack of I ‘Heart’ Farmers Markets tattoos, and a free year-long subscription to Farmers Market Metrics.
Our panel of judges will determine the 1st, 2nd, EBT/Nutrition Incentive, and Metrics poster winners, while the public selects the Fan Favorite winner through likes on photos in the official Facebook photo album.
- A high-resolution (300 dpi) PNG/JPG and a PDF of the poster or flyer
- Completed entry form
- All entries must be submitted by 11:59pm ET on July 15th, 2022
- Entry must be a 2022 season farmers market poster.
- Anyone can enter a poster; prize money goes to the farmers market represented on the poster.
- Markets operated by current FMC staff and board members are only eligible to win the Fan Favorite category.
- Winners from the 2017, 2018, and 2019 poster contests are only eligible to win in the Fan Favorite category.
- Winners will need to submit a w-9 to FMC before receiving the award.
- Winners will be interviewed by FMC for promotional purposes.
- FMC can use posters images to further the FMC mission.
- All entries must be submitted by 11:59pm ET on July 15th, 2022.
How Will Posters be Judged?
All posters will be judged based on their ability to:
- Clearly identify market information
- Engage the audience
- Represent a diverse market community and share market values
- Communicate a sense of place: what makes the market unique and what is special to their community
Fan Favorite Criteria:
- Most likes on Facebook, in FMC’s Facebook Photo Gallery
- Anyone can vote for the Fan Favorite poster on Facebook
- To vote, “like” your favorite poster(s) on Facebook, in FMC’s Facebook Photo Gallery. Participants can vote for as many posters as they like!
EBT and/or Nutrition Incentive Criteria:
- Clearly communicates the market’s EBT and/or nutrition incentive options
- Seeks to reduce stigma for shoppers using SNAP
- Clearly highlights one or more points of data collected by the market. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- How many vendors sell at the market
- Number of products available at the market
- Visitor attendance
- Average distance vendors travel to market
- Number of acres of farmland the market’s vendors have in production
- How many years the market has been in operation
May I enter multiple posters for one market (for example, a basic one, and one that includes SNAP info)?
I’m not the manager of my farmers market, but I’d like to submit its poster. May I?
Yes! The market promoted in the poster will win the award money, not the person who submitted it.
May I vote for more than one poster?
Yes! Fan Favorite votes are based on Facebook likes and you can vote for as many as you’d like. Share to support your hometown market or favorite!
My farmers market doesn’t have a poster. Can I make one and submit it to this contest?
Yes! We’d love for you to do that. Just remember that the prize money goes to the market, not the creator of the poster.
My market won a poster contest prize in 2017, 2018, or 2019. Is my market eligible to win a prize in this year’s contest?
Yes! Markets that won a prize in the 2017, 2018, or 2019 poster contest are still eligible to win the Fan Favorite category.
How long will it take for my entry to be added to the contest photo gallery on Facebook so fans can start voting?
No longer than two (2) business days, beginning after June 15th, 2022 (the official start date of the contest).
Can I submit my poster entry prior to June 15, 2022, the official start date of the contest?
Yes! Scroll down to submit your poster whenever you’re ready. We won’t upload any submissions for voting on our Facebook page until June 15th, but you’re welcome to submit in advance.
All of the winners look like they were professionally designed, should I even bother entering?
Yes! There are many ways to create a beautifully designed poster. Some of last year’s winning entries were designed by local artists, others by market staff or volunteers! Remember, we are looking for current 2022 posters, so if you don’t already have a poster designed, there’s still time for your to reach out to local artists, hold your own poster submission contest, find a designer that can make an in-kind donation, contact a graphic design student, etc. Involving your local supporters, shoppers, and partners in the design of your poster is a great way to engage your community!
Who do I contact at FMC if I have questions or trouble entering?