The 2018 National Farmers Market Poster Contest has closed. Check out our 2018 winners here.
Why celebrate farmers market posters?
In a recent national survey of farmers who sell at farmers markets, farmers reported the best way markets can support their business is by better advertising and signage. The trusty poster has long served as one of the most essential ways farmers markets can promote the who, what, where, when and why of their venue. Market posters not only advertise a place where people can find fresh food for their families, they support the livelihoods of thousands of local farmers across the country by drawing communities closer to the hardworking men and women who produce their food. A true testament to the power of some simple signage!
Who else is celebrating farmers market posters?
Farm Aid partnered with FMC to sponsor the 2018 contest! For 30+ years, Farm Aid has raised over $50 million in support of farmer programs and the Good Food movement. Together, we’re thrilled to celebrate our nation’s local farmers and farmers markets! In addition to a cash prize, this year’s winning posters will be also displayed at the HOMEGROWN village tents at Farm Aid’s 2018 concert! Dare we say, that makes for major farmers market exposure?
FMC awarded a cash prize to five winning farmers markets whose posters depicted a combination of engaging graphics, informative messaging and regional or market identity across the following categories:
- 1st and 2nd place for best overall poster
- Best EBT/Nutrition Incentive poster
- Fan Favorite – the poster with the most votes in FMC’s Facebook photo gallery
- *NEW Category!* Best Metrics Poster – Do you collect data on your market and showcase that information on your poster? Then your poster is eligible for this prize! Examples include, but are not limited to:
- How many vendors sell at the market
- Number of products available at the market
- Visitor attendance
- Average distance vendors travel to market
- Number of acres of farmland the market’s vendors have in production
- How many years the market has been in operation
Our panel of judges determined the 1st, 2nd, EBT/Nutrition Incentive, and Metrics poster winners, while our Facebook followers voted online to crown the Fan Favorite winner.
2018 Contest Judges
Want to know what sparks farmers market fondness for our stellar judges panel? Click on the photos to learn more about our 2018 contest judges.